Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Where Have All the Fun Jobs Gone?

(note: title is meant to be read in the tune of Paula Cole's "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPegaBQyemo
Woe is me! Maybe it's Arizona, maybe it's my search criteria, perhaps it's a severe lack of connections, but I seem to be incapable of finding any employment opportunities that entail the slightest trace of enjoyment.  I've always averred that "jobs don't have to be fun; you work so you can enjoy your time not working", but I'm beginning to disagree with my oh-so-wise self.  To be fair, this was brought about by a recent discussion with one of my many acquaintances currently residing abroad.  My former roommate/partner in crime is seeking employment in China, and one of the positions he's currently pursuing is "Video Game Tester".  Upon recovering from the ecstatic shock that the movie "Grandma's Boy" could potentially be based on (or one day become) a true story, I was filled with envy.  Doing something you love for a living? Unheard of!

I was born without the hand-eye coordination skills required by video games of any sort (a birth defect I've learned to accept) so video game testing would actually incite quite a bit of stress and frustration for the likes of yours truly, but conceptually this was quite the eye-opener for me. Maybe jobs/careers I won't completely detest do exist! When is Will Shortz retiring?  Is Marlboro hiring?  Who needs a new beverage consultant?  I wiiiish. But the fact remains, there's hope.  I've now shifted gears, and rather than mindlessly hitting "apply" and filling out the same tedious information for any job within 25 miles that seems remotely doable, I've decided to be more selective.  It's extraordinarily disheartening, and I may need to broaden my interests in order to meet the new criteria, but at least there's some life behind the never-ending search for employment.

I will not do sales.

If anybody working in the alcohol industry is reading this, I was not joking about the beverage consultant thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment